Lisa Ainsley from Warwickshire went to her local salon to have her hair bleached but the stylist didn’t carry out the essential skin tests before applying the bleach.
Our client felt unwell whilst the product on her hair, because it had been left on for too long and too much heat had been applied.
By the time the hairdresser removed the bleach our client’s scalp was burnt, her hair had become brittle and started snapping off, and she had to have it cut short.
We took on the claim against the hairdresser and her insurers, and they quickly admitted liability.
We obtained expert trichology evidence about the damage to our client’s hair and helped her recover £5,000 in compensation for the damage.